The Dana-Farber Community Cancer Care at Whittier Street Health Center is a partnership between Whittier Street Health Center and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
- Expert 2nd opinion for cancer
- Efficient work-up when cancer is suspected
- Immediate referrals to disease specific departments at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Referrals to breast health specialists at Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Insurance verification
- Interpreter services
- Referrals to geneticists and genetic testing
- Social work
- Expert and compassionate coordination of care
- Received abnormal results from a test that relates to cancer (a pap smear or mammogram, for example)
- Were treated for cancer in the past but do not have a doctor involved in your cancer care now
- May be at risk for cancer (for example, if your primary doctor is concerned about your family’s health history)
You can also contact the program directly if you think its services might help you.
First, you will come to Whittier Street Health Center to talk with Ludmila Svoboda, the program’s Program Nurse. Ludmila will:
- Tell you more about the program
- Make sure your care is covered (most insurance plans cover it)
- Schedule an appointment with one of the Clinic doctors and arrange any lab work or tests that you may need
Next, you will meet with Ludmila and one of the program's doctors so that they can learn more about you and your needs. This appointment will also take place at Whittier Street Health Center.
More appointments may be suggested at Whittier Street Health Center, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI), or Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH). If you have medical appointments at DFCI or BWH:
- You can take a free shuttle bus that runs from Ruggles Station to the hospitals
- Staff who speak your language will welcome you there
- Ludmila, the program nurse, will help guide you through the process.
- Directions to Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Empower all residents to help prevent cancer when possible
- Diagnose cancer quickly when necessary
- Treat cancer expertly
- Focus on each patient’s needs and wishes at all times with compassion, respect and understanding